Bruce K. Spirit Folk Samurai in Gene D.'s "Vanished Lands: A New Dawn" Asian-style fantasy telecom game
Player Character: “Saigo Kasugi”
Role-Player: Bruce K.
Campaign: “Vanished Lands”
- Game Master: Gene D.
- Rules systems: D20 Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st Ed.) Oriental Adventures, FATE 3e Legends of Anglerre, and Pathfinder
- Adventuring party: “A New Dawn” (40, telecom team)
- Date revised: 14 October 2014/“13 June 1227 B.C.E.”
Armor Class: 23 total = 24
- 3 (Dex bonus) +
- 16 (by type worn:Banded mail +3
- +1 Two hand def specialist +1
- 0 (spells: )
Hit Points: 102+ (start at max; by occupation/level: Ftr d10 + Con bonus)
- Two ATKS per round
Base Attack Bonus: 6 total =
- 3 (Dex bonus; on 1d20 to hit) +
- 3 (class/lvl.; Ftr/Rog: + 1 every 2 lvls.)+
- 1 (stunts/items: Ancestral Weapon)
Primary weapons (ranged and melee, by reach/range, damage, ammo, qualities):
- Daikyu (great bow; 1d8 dam med/lg, 1d6 vs. small, leaf-head arrows)
- Katana (long sword; 1d8 + 2 Str dam)
- Ninja-to (short sword; disguised as wakizashi; 1d6 + 2 Str dam)
No dachi (two-handed sword) of the White Scorpion (1d10 + 2 Str dam + 1 Life Stealer — every 10 HP taken gives 1 HP to wielder)
Gen Want Tung Katana +2 wounding weapon
- Tanto (dagger; 1d4 dam, 1-3 thrown)
Aspects (can use a Fate point to tag for a +1d6 or a reroll on a 1d20 skill, plus compels; start with 5, +1 every 5 lvls.):
- Origin (species/race): Bamboo Spirit Folk (eastern Sylvan Elf)
Occupation (class): Samurai (Fighter: Cavalier/Knight)
- Level (sessions/5): 8
- Trouble/foibles: Family members are special agents for the daimyo/weakness for women
- Guest stars (not a fellow party member or follower): Nayoko (princess) positive relationship; Mutsuhito (prince) negative relationship
- Motivation (alignment): Lawful Neutral, with Good tendencies
- Family/birthright: First-born noble
- Training/allegiance: Educated by grandfather, famous weapons master (and special agent to emperor) Shinso Kasugi
- Adventuring/reputation: Whatever it takes to get the job done — however unorthodox
- Status/title (heroic/epic):
Attributes (roll 4d6, drop the lowest, reroll 1s; modified by Origin, and bonuses; plus 1 pt. every 20 sessions or 4 levels):
- Strength: 16 (+ 2 bonus; x5 = maximum carry, x10 = max. lift, to melee damage)
- Dexterity: 18 (+ 2; x2 = ft./round; to initiative, Acrobatics/Reflex)
- Constitution: 15 (17 with Amulet 2; to Hit Points per level, Endurance/Fortitude)
- Intelligence: 11 (0; see skills)
- Wisdom: 15 (+ 2; to Resolve/Will)
- Charisma: 16 (+ 2; to Leadership)
(Bonuses: 1-3: -3, 4-5: -2, 6-8: -1, 9-11: 0, 12-14: +1, 15-17: +2, 18-20: +3, 21-23: +4)
Skills: 55 ranks total (on 1d20, plus Attribute bonus; 10 points to start, +5 points per level; ranks limited to level)
- Acrobatics: 12 (7 ranks + 3 Dex bonus – 1 armor; Reflex, incl. escape artist, fly, tightrope, tumble)
- Endurance: 12 (6 ranks + 3 Con, + 3 Ftr; Fortitude, run, stamina, swim)
- Resolve: 12 (8 + 2 Wis; Will)
- Animal Handling: 4 (2 ranks + 2 Wis; ride)
- Arcana: 0 (0 + 0 Int; magic)
- Area Knowledge: 0 (0 + 0 Int; geography, history, law/politics)
- Athletics: 10 (7 + 2 Str; climb, jump, lift)
- Craft: 2 (0 + 2 Dex/Int; by creation, e.g. armory, cooking)
- Deception: 9 (5 + 2 Cha; bluff, disguise)
- Diplomacy: 9 (5 + 2 Cha; bargaining, gather info., taunt)
- Devices: 6 (3 + 3 Dex; locks, traps, constructs, mechanic)
- Intimidation: 5 (1 + 2 Str; interrogation)
- Leadership: 6 (4 + 2 Cha; followers, persuasion, rapport)
- Linguistics: 2 (2 + 0 Int; plus native; decipher, forgery; Therudic/native, Shengtese/common, Bamoric/Underdark)
- Lore: 0 (0 + 0 Int; such as dungeoneering, nature, nonadventuring profession, science, strategy/tactics)
- Medicine: 2 (0 + 2 Wis; heal)
- Perception: 9 (6 + 2 Wis; empathy/sense motive, insight, notice)
- Perform: 4 (2 + 2 Cha/+; by artistic medium)
- Religion: 2 (0 + 2 Wis; planes)
- Sleight of Hand: 3 (0 + 3 Dex; holdout, pick pockets)
- Stealth: 13 (7 + 3 Dex; follow, hide, move silently +2 stealthy)
- Survival: 4 (2 + 2 Wis; by terrain, incl. tracking)
- Vehicles: 3 (1 + 3 Dex; by type)
Stunts (race/class abilities/superpowers, skill specializations/feats and attribute swaps, signature items, etc.; by source):
- Ancestral/masterwork weapon (+ 1 katana)
- Immunity to fear
- Low-light vision (racial, 60 ft.)
- Martial arts (1 maneuver per level, see AD&D1/D&D3.0 Oriental Adventures) ?
- Cleave – hit 1st opponent gain second atk on different opponent
#Stealthy +2 Stealth
- Refresh: 6 remaining out of 10 (start w/ 6 Fate points, use to tag an aspect, make a declaration, or activate a stunt; plus 1 every 10 sessions or 2 levels)
- Languages (native + Linguistics): Therudic (native), Shengtese (eastern human common), Bamoric (eastern Undercommon)
Other potential stunts:
- Elemental resistance (racial, + 2 to Fort vs. earth, wood spells)
- Favored terrain (racial, + 2 on Survival in forests)
- Ki shout (class, vs. Will, DC=10+1/2 Lvl.)
- Ki strike (class, + 2 Dam 1/day per every two levels)
- Mount (class, see also D20 Legends of the Samurai)
- Talk With Animals (racial)
- Gender: Male
Date of birth/age: 20
- Date created: October 2013/“February 1227 B.C.E.”
- Eyes: Green; Hair: Blond
- Complexion: Fair
- Height: 5 ft., 9 in.; Weight: 155 lbs.
- Appearance, mannerisms: Saigo is very confident in his abilities both on and off the battlefield. The first son of a high-ranking noble family, he can be both very arrogant and at times quite empathetic. Saigo is a natural leader and tries to practice a few hours per day with his katana.
- Magic/empowered items:
- Ancestral weapon: _No dachi of the White Scorpion +3
Every 10 HP I take – I get 1 back
**Sword +3 Thundering Blade – Outsider Bane
**Ring of Regeneration – 1 round
**Amulet of health +2 constitution
- Ring of (Lesser) Wish, 2 charges (to use to find/rescue grandfather, Gen. Shinso Saigo)
- Ring of Charm Person
60 ft. range – 1 creature for 1 hour a level – opposed char check
to make them do something extreme
- 2 cure serious potions 3D8+5
- 1 Potion of Heroism
(+12 HP – Immune to being freightened)
Potions of Resistance to 1 Acid and2 Fire
- _potion: Fly
armor: Banded mail, helmet, no shield (AC 16) +3 (AC 19)
Two handed weapon specialist defense +1 Def (AC 20)
Stealthy +2 Stealth
Cleave hit 1st opponent get hit on 2nd
Greater cleave – 2nd attack also gets extra attack -2 on my AC
Toughness +10 HP
- disguises: none
- formal attire: kimono, 4 lbs.
- traveling clothes: belt, boots, cloak, leggings, tunic, underwear, 5 lbs.
- armor: Banded mail, helmet, no shield (AC 16) +3 (AC 19)
- seal of house Kasugi (in service to the Zedu kingdom)
- sheaths for weapons, quivers of two dozen arrows
Rations: 1 week, 10 lbs.
- dried fruit and meat, 5 days’ worth
- bread/rice, 5 days’ worth
- water/wineskins, 2 quarts
Other gear, weapons:
- backpack, leather or wicker, full
- blankets, bedroll
- flint and steel
- mirror, small metal
- oil, 3 flasks
- paper, ink
- rope, 50 ft., silk
- torches, 3
- Letters from Princess – drawing of her
Animals/transport: “Blackwind,” light warhorse
- Bit, blankets, bridle, harness, tack, saddle, stirrups
- Saddlebags, with 4 days’ grain
- copper pieces/fen:180
- silver pieces/yuan (x2): 240
- electrum pieces/tael:
- gold pieces/tael (x2): 4.698 g.p
- platinum pieces/ch’ien:
- gold pieces in gems: 0
Bio/backstory (include family/training, allegiances):
- Homeland /nationality: Town of Nanlung, Zedu kingdom, Therud Forest
- Patron deity /philosophy: Shang-ti, emperor of the sky (male) — agriculture, leadership, metallic dragons, Samurai; gold fist; LNg
The Kasugi family (House Kasugi) in Nanlung has produced servants (special agents) of the Emperor for many generations. From the first, Takero Saigo, to many generations in between, right up to Shinso Saigo, these special agents of the emperor have been long-standing from House Kasugi.
The tradition was broken for the first time in a long time with the birth of Hirokazu Kasugi — Saigo’s father — who turned out to be better suited as a general in the military than a special agent. Hirokazu’s inability to be a special agent extended Shinso’s time as a special agent, and he served the emperor into older age.
About 3-4 months ago, Shinso was sent on a far-away mission for the emperor and has not returned (Saigo does not know why — perhaps the emperor does or does not know whether Shinso is still alive or not is up to GM).
Saigo was trained from a young boy by his grandfather — perhaps the greatest special agent for the crown that ever came from house Kasugi. Saigo was also trained by the same teachers that taught the emperors two children. The emperor’s oldest daughter, one year older than Saigo (Nayoko), and his next oldest son (Mutsuhito) is same age as Saigo.
Saigo had very different relationships with both of them. With Nayoko, Saigo was best friends. both Nayoko and Saigo fell in love with each other at very young ages, but they never acted on their feelings — except almost a year ago to this day, when Nayoko kissed Saigo once.
Mutsuhito hated Saigo — everything Saigo was better than him at was thought an insult by the arrogant and self-doubting Mutsuhito. Saigo dislikes Mutsuhito and distrusts him. Though he tries to placate him as best as he can, he knows he has to tread lightly around Mutsuhito because he is a prince.
Even though they are not sure Saigo is ready to become a Special Agent for the emperor, with the disappearance of Shinso and one or two other agents – Saigo is pressed into service….
Wants more than anything to be able to marry Princess. Believes slaying the dragon will get him shot at that.
Bushido (code of honor): Some of the basic beliefs of this ethic are:
- The samurai is obedient to his lord.
- It is a samurai’s right to protest against bad judgments or orders from his lord, and death is the final protest a samurai can make.
- The samurai is ready to die at any time.
- There is no such thing as failure, only death or success.
- To die in the service of one’s lord is the greatest service a samurai can render.
- No dishonor can go un-avenged.
- Dishonor to lord or family is also dishonor to the samurai. Mercy is not due the enemy.
- All debts, both of vengeance and of gratitude, are repaid. Cowardice is dishonorable.
- Honor: 20
- Strongholds: None yet
Player Character Party 40 in Gene D.’s “Vanished Lands: A New Dawn” Asian-style telecom campaign, using the D20 Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game and Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st Ed.) Oriental Adventures , plus house rules, Skype, and an online dice roller, as of autumn 2014:
- “Moon Jung-mo” [Dexter V.H.]-male Nannuattan Ninja (Msamaki, eastern Dark Elf Assassin) who has left the Shadow’s Claw clan and is posing as a River Spirit Folk (eastern Grey Elf Rogue) merchant; with a wyvern hatchling; LNg, Lvl. 8
- “Souji Nobuto ‘Sonny’ Yoshimitsu” [Beruk A.]-male Shengtese Tian Kensai (eastern human weapon master) from a dishonored house in the Lion Clan, specializing in chain weapons; with talking horse Yip; LNg, Lvl. 8
- “Toshiharu ‘Toshi’ Sembutsu” [Byron V.O.]-male Shan Sao Wu Jen (eastern Halfling Wizard) with tiger companion Amaya and a destiny; NGc, Lvl. 8
- “Ember Talon” [Sara F.]-female Crane Hengeyokai Wu (shapeshifting Druid), actually a young gold dragon banished from the Celestial Court; NGl, Lvl. 8
- “Soske’ Tiatoshe” [Geoff C.]-male Shengtese Tian Shukenja (eastern human Cleric), priest and animist from the Phoenix Clan, prophesied to do great things but plagued by family and ancestor spirits; LNg, Lvl. 8
- “Saigo Kasugi” [Bruce K.]-male Bamboo Spirit Folk Samurai (eastern Sylvan Elf Cavalier) discreetly serving his daimyo; LNg, Lvl. 8
- “Tokoro Gawa” [Drew S.]-male carp Hengeyokai Hulinyuan (amphibious shapeshifting Ranger) seeking to protect streams; with otter companion; CGn, Lvl. 8
- Every level (5 sessions): +5 skill points, +1 hit die
- Every 2 levels: +1 to BAB for Ftr and Rog, +1 refresh
- Every 3 levels: +1 to BAB for Clr and Wiz
- Every 4 levels: +1 to any one attribute
- Every 5 levels: +1 aspect
- Image links: