A New Dawn P.C. Party 40
Player Characters for Gene D.'s "Vanished Lands: A New Dawn" Asian-style fantasy telecom campaign
Player Character Party 40 in Gene D.’s “Vanished Lands: A New Dawn” Asian-style telecom campaign, using the D20 Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Ed./D&D3.0 Oriental Adventures, Pathfinder, and FATE 3e Legends of Anglerre, plus house rules, Skype, and an online dice roller, as of autumn 2014:
- “Moon Jung-Mo” [Dexter V.H.]-male Nannuattan Ninja (Msamaki; eastern Dark Elf Assassin) who has left the Shadow’s Claw clan and is posing as a River Spirit Folk (eastern Grey Elf) merchant; with young wyvern Niruth; LNg, Lvl. 10
- “Souji Nobuto ‘Sonny’ Yoshimitsu” [Beruk A.]-male Shengtese Tian Kensai (eastern human weapon master) from a dishonored house in the Lion Clan, specializing in chain weapons; with talking horse Yip; LNg, Lvl. 10
- “Toshiharu ‘Toshi’ Sembutsu” [Byron V.O.]-male Shan Sao Wu Jen (eastern Halfling Wizard) with tiger companion Amaya and a destiny; NGc, Lvl. 10
- “Ember Talon” [Sara F.]-female Crane Hengeyokai Wu (shapeshifting Druid), actually a young gold dragon banished from the Celestial Court; NGl, Lvl. 10
- “Soske’ Tiatoshe” [Geoff C.]-male Shengtese Tian Shukenja (eastern human Cleric), priest and animist from the Phoenix Clan, prophesied to do great things but plagued by family and ancestor spirits; LNg, Lvl. 10
- “Saigo Kasugi” [Bruce K.]-male Bamboo Spirit Folk Samurai (eastern Sylvan Elf Cavalier) discreetly serving his daimyo; LNg, Lvl. 10
- “Tokoro Gawa” [Drew S.]-male carp Hengeyokai Hulinyuan (amphibious shapeshifting Ranger) seeking to protect streams; with otter companion Mala; CGn, Lvl. 10
The game so far:
- “1 to 3 March 1227 B.C.E.” (Sessions 40.1 to 2; 17 to 24 November 2013): The warring states of Tong Sheng, Zedu, and Gokuri send representatives to the border village of Hazokuwi to negotiate a truce. A group of wanderers rescues two friends possessed by spirits summoned by Bakemono. It is then asked to escort Lady Yun Aei-Yong, a Nannuattan delegate from Gokuri, to neighboring realms.
- “March 4 to 11” (Sessions 3 to 4; 1 to 8 December 2013): The new adventuring party sails down the Balef River to the Shengtese village of Wai Shih. On the way, it meets suspicious Kappa, an Oni, and human bandits.
- “March 11 to 23” (Sessions 5 to 7; 15 December 2013 to 5 January 2014): At the conjunction of the Balef and Hei Ho rivers, the team finds the “Sandy Corner” tavern on stilts and learns of skeletal warriors, and old curse, and giant amoebas. It restores the honor of the Undead by taking on a traitor. The travelers narrowly escape from the Gokuri outpost of Dulthor because of an ambush by Byong Sudae, a rival of Lady Yun.
- “March 24 to April 5” (Sessions 8 to 10; Jan. 12 to Feb. 16): After stopping at the town of Shang Tao, the caravan meets a dozen ronin and the six Orc Samurai pursuing them. The travelers rest in the village of Chin Mok until a huge flaming boar signifies the defilement of a nearby sacred grove. A strange girl transforms into a horse-headed Tikbalang, which the would-be heroes kill.
- “April 8 to 11” (Sessions 11 to 12; Feb. 23 to March 2): While investigating the Tikbalang and tracking a Wolfen bounty hunter, the diplomatic escorts find three Undead farmers and ghoulish children. The slay three Mahotsukai and leave the untrusting villagers.
- “April 12 to 21” (Sessions 13 to 14; March 9 to 16): The voyagers decide to hike across the countryside rather than stop at more potentially troubled communities. They avoid a tower occupied by a discraced officer. At the town of Kuan Chou, Sonny and Toshi beat a man who spotted Lady Yun but then lose him. The caravan takes a canal to Sogewa, capital of Tong Sheng.
- “April 22 to May 4” (Sessions 15 to 20; March 30 to June 1): The envoys talk with members of various clans, from aristocrats to criminals and geishas. Soske’ reluctantly introduces his friends to his family, and Shang Prince Zu Ji usurps Duke Kou Fei Seng. Saigo’s contact Gen. Wang Tung betrays him, and the group defeats 14 Ninjas before leaving the city.
- “May 5 to 12” (Sessions 21 to 23; June 8 to July 14): While hiking across the northeastern Plains of Sathendo, Toshi summons tiger Amaya. The explorers fight three supernatural creatures and bulettes on the steppes and meet Lady Fu Hao, the commander of a large army approaching Sogewa.
- “May 13 to 19” (Sessions 24 to 26; July 20 to Aug. 3): The wanderers persuade Prince Zu Ji to leave the provincial capital to avoid unnecessary bloodshed. Despite attacks in the House of the Red Lotus and by Ninjas, the group manages to leave Sogewa. The prince teleports to Gokuri, leaving Lady Yun and her escorts to answer to Lady Fu Hao.
- “May 20 to 24” (Sessions 27 to 28; Aug. 24 to Sept. 1): The diplomatic escorts encounter skeletal warriors, evil Druids, and infernal bureaucrats, as well as a grateful nature spirit and Tokoro, a defender of the waterways. Sonny’s horse Yip gains the ability to talk.
- “May 25 to June 1” (Sessions 29 to 32; Sept. 7 to 28): Children have gone missing from the village of Yao Shung. The team uncovers a plot to drive human peasants from their farms, and it defeats an unnatural cell of the Scarlet Order.
- “June 2 to 13” (Sessions 33 to 34; Oct. 5 to 12): On the way from Sogewa to Bazran Hai, the caravan meets a Naga and Bamboo Spirit Folk and fights Nezumi and Kitsune. Lady Yun avoids combat with Bakemono and Oni, and the adventuring party arrives at the walled town of Hsia Ling….