Fellow role-players, here is my brief update for the second session (39.2) of the “Vanished Lands: Vistel’s Circus” fantasy campaign, which Brian W. hosted at his home in Newton, Massachusetts, on Monday, 24 September 2012:
In one ancient world, there was a region where strange majicks and demihuman races thrived. The “Vanished Lands” were blessed by the gods and cursed by prophecy. Travelers became adventurers, and adventurers strove to be heroes in the face of many perils and wonders.
Various groups of mercenaries and diplomats have fought humanoids in the northwestern borderlands, encountered pirates on the Sea of Nagendwa, and wandered the hostile Halmed Desert and the broad Plains of Sathendo….
Player Character roster for Gene D.’s “Vanished Lands” heroic fantasy campaign, using the Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game, as of autumn 2012:
- “Giacomo ‘the Mysterious’ Du Vane” [Beruk A.]-male Hifalendorin human Mage (Gypsy Wizard) and stage magician, embittered by experiences in Hesolin’s Magisterium; NGc, Lvl. 1
- “Hamfast Hammerfist” [Brian W.]-male Zeda human Fighter, mountaineer, “barbarian” strongman, and laborer; TNg, Lvl. 1
- “Scully Strongbow” [Sara F.]-female albino Gnoll (Flind) Ranger, archer, knife thrower, and scout, with owl “Owlicious”; NGl, Lvl. 1
- “Corwin Windsong” [Bruce K.]-male Half-Elf Bard, runaway aristocrat, ladies’ man, and ringmaster with a mandolin; CNg, Lvl. 1
- “Elsa Fairbottom” [Rich C.G.]-female Hill Dwarf Druid outcast, cook/brewer, and animal handler with owlbear cub “Oswald”; NGc, Lvl. 1
- “Radius” [Jason E.R.]-male Modron Paladin of Primus, lord of Nirvana; exiled to the Prime Material plane; LGn, Lvl. 1
- “Tempestade” [Josh C.]-male Barbari human Monk (Battledancer/capoeirista from outside the “Vanished Lands”), roustabout; CGl, Lvl. 1
“4 February 1228 B.C.E.:” The performers rehearsed in the Hifalendorin human village of Androth. Cautious Giacomo practiced card tricks with a minimum of magic, and stolid Hamfast and shivering Tempestade helped other roustabouts.
Furred Scully assisted hapless escape artist Seamus, as animal lover Elsa worked with her charges. Assertive Corwin supervised the different acts, wooed dancer Tamara, and met a Saganim knight, Sir Banor. Radius was off meditating somewhere.
The show went well, despite some minor difficulties that were mainly the result of a lack of practice. Local lord Valerius and Orlando Vistel gave the troupe a few nights off to rest before resuming practice.
Bruisefoot again contacted Hamfast, and a subset of the circus folk warily agreed to help the Goblin find his kin, who had supposedly been abducted by “bad men.” They hiked across the frozen Aehonir River and through sparse winter woods. The Goblins’ warren was occupied by a giant centipede — which was quickly slain — and a further search yielded evidence of a nearby silver mine.
Bruisefoot led the wanderers to a gulch, where a Half-Orc sentry and others forced Goblins to work the mine….
Now that Player Character creation using the Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game is mostly done, please remember to review them on Obsidian Portal and let me know if you have any changes, such as gear or spells. It shouldn’t be too hard to copy and paste or print out these records for our use.
Beruk, thanks for updating “Giacomo,” and Sara, I’ve added “Scully’s” backstory. Jason, I’ve uploaded “Radius,” so only Brian’s Fighter “Hamfast” remains. Rich, don’t forget to post the names of “Elsa’s” animals.
Let me know if any of you have questions or suggestions, and I look forward to upcoming sessions of the “Vortex: the Gryphon” telecom space opera and Josh’s “A New Beginning: Mystic Adventures in the ‘Big D!’” -Gene
- Adric Thumon-male Saganim (proto-Celtic/Anglo-Saxon) human squire to Sir Banor; talked with “Corwin”
- Sir Banor Finney-male Saganim human knight, in service to Earl Dargwyn MacIlroy; visited Androth for the circus