Fellow role-players, here are my notes for “Vanished Lands” Session 40.22, which was held on Sunday, 22 June 2014:
Long ago in a distant land, spirits and men directly traded bamboo, silk, and steel. Wars to the west, twisted monsters, and power-hungry sorcerers threatened the eastern kingdoms, so the call went out for new heroes of honor and tact….
Player Character Party 40 in Gene D.’s “Vanished Lands: A New Dawn” Asian-style telecom campaign, using the D20 Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game and Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st Ed.) Oriental Adventures , plus FATE 3e Legends of Anglerre and house rules, Skype, and an online dice roller, as of summer 2014:
- “Souji Nobuto ‘Sonny’ Yoshimitsu” [Beruk A.]-male Shengtese Tian Kensai (eastern human weapon master) from a dishonored house in the Lion Clan, specializing in chain weapons; LNg, Lvl. 6
- “Toshiharu ‘Toshi’ Sembutsu” [Byron V.O.]-male Shan Sao Wu Jen (eastern Halfling Wizard) from the Tiger Clan with a destiny; NGc, Lvl. 6
- “Ember Talon” [Sara F.]-female Crane Hengeyokai Wu (shapeshifting Druid), actually a young gold dragon banished from the Celestial Court; NGl, Lvl. 6
- “Soske’ Tiatoshe” [Geoff C.]-male Shengtese Tian Shukenja (eastern human Cleric), priest of Shang-ti and animist from the Phoenix Clan, prophesied to do great things; LNg, Lvl. 6
- “Saigo Kasugi” [Bruce K.]-male Bamboo Spirit Folk Samurai (eastern Sylvan Elf Cavalier) discreetly serving his daimyo; LNg, Lvl. 6
- “Moon Jung-mo” [Dexter V.H.]-male Nannuattan Ninja (Msamaki, eastern Dark Elf Assassin) who has left the Shadow’s Claw clan and is posing as a River Spirit Folk Yakuza (eastern Grey Elf Rogue); LNg, Lvl. 6
“7 to 8 May 1227 B.C.E.:” While traveling across the Plains of Sathendo, Toshi summoned tiger companion Amaya, while Ember flew ahead. She saw traces of large burrowing creatures. Sonny and Saigo helped defeat vampiric bats, and Soske’ cast Heroes’ Feast. The group overtook two elderly hikers, who seem determined to keep them from scouting the army approaching the city of Sogewa….
Toshi invokes Ami Koshi, the forest matron, as he casts Mass Serpent’s Swiftness to aid his companions. Soske’ casts Rock to Mud on Shi Ling, or “Celine,” the woman who had turned to living marble. Saigo strikes Li Jo, or giant “Happy Joe,” three times with his katana.
Sonny chokes Joe with a chain, and Ember hits with her kama (sickle). However, she and Toshi are drained by the Kijo’s Aura of Hunger. Statuesque Celine begins chanting and swings a longsword at Saigo. Jung-Mo slips away to guard the steeds.
Calling upon Ano Wasu, lord of storms, Shan Sao Toshi casts Arc Lightning, which the two foes dodge, but Sonny does not. Soske’ sighs and heals his fellow Shengtese human. Bamboo Spirit Folk Saigo hits muddy Celine.
Sonny is unable to knock enlarged Joe off his feet, so he switches to Celine. Hengeyokai Ember realizes that the woman is summoning something, so she casts Silence on the Hidari Construct’s sword. Oni-like Joe, who is now hurting, flails with his tail at Saigo.
Celine drops her sword and steps back but is tripped on the gravelly ground by Sonny. Toshi cites Tsu Komi, lord of the moon, and casts Magic Missiles, killing Joe. Soske’ calls upon the spirits for an Ancestral Weapon. Saigo swings at the prone opponent.
Quick-thinking Ember casts Create Water over Celine, further hampering her movement. Rather than get up right away, the mourning monster finishes her summons, calling forth an obese Fukuranbou. Snakelike intestines burst from its fetid abdomen and bite Saigo, who narrowly avoids infection.
Wu Jen Toshi casts Scorching Ray and steps back, while Shukenja Soske’ fires ice arrows at the Fukuranbou. Samurai Saigo slashes at the Undead, and Kensai Sonny grabs Celine’s silenced sword and hits her with it.
Ember casts Flame Weapon, but the Wu’s Call Lightning also affects unlucky ally Sonny. Celine, a statue intended to cheat death, slowly gets up and draws a tanto (dagger) on Saigo. The Fukuranbou’s stomach serpents bite Saigo and Soske’, who casts Heal at it and spurs his horse away.
Toshi casts Magic Missiles at Celine and Enchanted Blade against the sumo-like Fukuranbou. Ember recognizes when the Wizard beseeches the Celestial Bureaucracy in vain to Dispel Magic on the summoned monster. Soske’ fires more frost arrows as he taunts the creature of vanity.
Weapon master Sonny fights defensively, throws the sword, and slides around Celine with his chain. Saigo finishes her off. Druid Ember Wild Shapes into an elephant and tramples the Fukuranbou.
Toshi identifies the Kijo, Hidari Construct, and Fukuranbou’s remains and notes that they are all cursed for intemperate desire. Sonny says it’s likely that this trio was trying for some reason to prevent the team from scouting the army approaching Sogewa.
Soske’ casts Restoration on himself and Saigo. The Cleric later Channels Positive Energy to heal the rest of the adventuring party. Ember and Jung-Mo help search the bodies and find the following items [all from the AD&D1 Oriental Adventures ]:
- Biwa (lute) of Calm — claimed by Soske’
- Battle Axe (+ 1, + 2 vs. Giants) — Toshi/Jung-Mo?
- Book on Giantish — Toshi
- Two-handed sword, + 2, dancing — Saigo
- Mirror of Spirit Seeing (True Sight) — Ember
- Pearl of Protection From Electricity (+ 4) — Sonny
The explorers prepare to continue eastward across the steppes, wary of bullettes and the as-yet-unidentified army….
I look forward to our “Vanished Lands: Vistel’s Expedition” game and whatever we play around Byron’s visit to the Boston area this coming weekend. Note that I won’t be running “A New Dawn” on June 29 or July 6 — sorry, Geoff. Later, -Gene