Fellow role-players, here is my update for Session 42.3 of our higher-level D&D5e telecom game, which was held on Sunday, 11 October 2015:
In one ancient world, there was a place where strange majicks and demihumans thrived. The “Vanished Lands” were blessed by the gods and cursed by prophecy. Travelers became adventurers, and adventurers strove to be heroes in the face of many perils and wonders.
Sometime after a group of former circus performers wandered aboard the airship Zephyr and a team of diplomatic escorts fought chaos in Tong Sheng, another crew gathered on the Sea of Nagendwa, and past heroes reunited….
- “Bellanora of Doru” [Dexter V.H.]-female Mountain Dwarf Paladin devoted to Vulkan, with gryphon steed Dai-ru; LG, Lvl. 10
- “Kunal Sampat Rajiv Ramaprased” [Beruk A.]-male Harrappan (proto-Indian) human Rogue and cook, member of the (D&D3.5) “Broken Chains”; NGc, Lvl. 10
- “Melchior Merryman” [Byron V.O.]-male Saganim/Hifalendorin human Cleric of Ulandt, hunter of Undead, former member of the (D&D3.0) “Seekers of Lore” and associate of (D20/FATE) “Vistel’s Expedition”; NGl, Lvl. 10
- “Amethyst IronSoul” [Geoff C.]-male Warforged battle master (Construct Fighter) and mercenary leader; LNg, Lvl. 10
- “Corwin Windsong” [Bruce K.]-male Half-Elf Bard, wandering Saganim prince, valiant arcane warrior, and mandolin player, member of “Vistel’s Expedition”; CNg, Lvl. 10
- “Ember Talon” [Sara F./absent ]-female Crane Hengeyokai Wu (shapeshifting Druid), actually a young gold dragon banished from the Celestial Court (see D20/FATE “A New Dawn”); NGl, Lvl. 10
- “Eoghan, son of Kyndeyrn” [Josh C./absent ]-male Half-Elf (Saganim human/Fey-touched) Warlock (formerly Bard), associate of the “Broken Chains”; CGn, Lvl. 10
Backup Player Character roster for Gene D.’s D&D5e “Vanished Lands: Avengers” telecom team, as of summer 2015:
- “Moon Jung-Mo” [Dexter V.H.]-male Nannuattan Ninja (eastern Dark Elf Assassin) who has left the Shadow’s Claw clan and is posing as a River Spirit Folk (eastern Grey Elf) merchant; with young wyvern Niruth (see D20/FATE “A New Dawn”); LNg, Lvl. 10
- “Sakan Agramon Majere/ Sam” [Beruk A.]-male Irda (High Ogre) Ranger, charlatan disguised as a human, with a snow leopard (from Dexter’s D&D5e “Land of Lost Souls”); TNc, Lvl. 10
- “Toshiharu ‘Toshi’ Sembutsu” [Byron V.O.]-male Shan Sao Wu Jen (eastern Halfling Wizard) with tiger companion Amaya and a destiny (“A New Dawn”); NGc, Lvl. 10
- “Tonks Cinderclaw” [Sara F.]-female Gokuri Dragonborn Fighter, member of the (D&D4e) “Faith-Based Initiative”; CGn, Age 21, Lvl. 10
- “Hateem Shisakli” [Josh C.]-male Suthern human Dervish (proto-Arabic Barbarian, formerly Bard/Battledancer), associate of the (Pathfinder ) “Uncommon Companions”; LGn, Lvl. 10
- “Soske’ Tiatoshe” [Geoff C.]-male Shengtese Tian Shukenja (eastern human Cleric), priest and animist from the Phoenix Clan, prophesied to do great things but plagued by family and ancestor spirits (“A New Dawn”); LNg, Lvl. 10
- “Saigo Kasugi” [Bruce K.]-male Bamboo Spirit Folk Samurai (eastern Sylvan Elf Cavalier) discreetly serving his daimyo (“A New Dawn”); LNg, Lvl. 10
“5 to 6 November 1227 B.C.E.:” After a lethal street brawl and spending the night at Gisar’s temple of Brijitt, the new acquaintances found Melchior at the Spice Square. They defeated three people pursuing the Saganim Cleric and inquired about Corwin’s enemies in the city.
Bellanora asks Corwin about his vendettas. The wandering prince explains that the late Lord Dalek, a Tiefling (demon-touched) mage, had framed him for the murder of Lady Katarina, a onetime lover.
Melchior reports that Corwin’s half-brother, Prince Daven, has been raising a mercenary army to challenge Prince Garamond right to the Saganim throne. Among Daven’s allies is young aristocrat Sean Sable, whose family is suspected of necromancy.
Kunal recalls a letter from Lord Dalek asking the Undead who rule Gisar for a boon. He recommends waiting until trouble dies down, but Amethyst is unconcerned with Corwin’s family problems. Kunal notes that the battle master could infiltrate Daven’s forces.
Bellanora still isn’t sure about whether Corwin’s cause is honorable, but the Half-Elf Bard says that the kingdom of Saganim’s security is tied to that of the Zeda kingdom. Bellanora agrees to wait to meet the recently defeated Nekojin (feline humanoid) assassin Riki.
Kunal takes to nearby rooftops to watch the neighborhood. The human Rogue notices that the Skaevingol (proto-Scandinavian), Vistani (proto-Slavic), and Tsucharim (Mongol-style) natives have been joined by Shengtese (East Asian) refugees from the Principality of Silado.
Dwarf Paladin Bellanora saddles Dai-ru, her gryphon steed, which Corwin will make Invisible as needed. Amethyst wonders how Daven would move an army west in winter across the Plains of Sathendo, since the kingdom of Hifalendor is between the former Gusorin Confederation and Saganim.
Melchior theorizes that Dalek knew about an ancient obelisk beneath the ruins of the local Magisterium (magic school/library). It could enable magical transit via ley lines to standing stones within Saganim, the human Cleric tells the Warforged Fighter.
Bellanora wants to keep a low profile and discuss strategy, while Kunal reports on what he saw in Gisar’s winding streets. Melchior suggests heading north to a monastery near Tekugi after meeting with Riki.
Corwin and Kunal head back to the Spice Square to scout out the rendezvous site. Bellanora assumes that Riki’s return is a trap, and Melchior readily agrees.
Amethyst offers his services to Prince Daven. Among the sell swords, he sees Wolven, Nezumi (rat folk), and a few Minotaurs. He returns to his new companions by dusk.
Bellanora rides Dai-ru and casts Protection From Evil on herself. Kunal enters the market from the southeastern corner, using a magical monocle to search for hidden foes.
Melchior uses a cloak of Darkness to hide near Kunal. Corwin casts Stoneskin on himself as he and Amethyst approach the empty market from the south. Riki arrives, followed by a tall Skaevingol warrior.
Corwin steps forward to learn about Daven’s whereabouts, which was a condition of the Nekojin’s release. Fjodor Valisson has disdain for the outlanders, but Amethyst studies his movements.
From their rooftop, Melchior and Kunal spot Undead surrounding the square. Bellanora notices a large bat, as well as a Tsucharim woman approaching from the east. She recognizes Jeung Kum-Ja as a hopping vampire.
Melchior uses his wand of Daylight to illuminate the area around Corwin, who casts Mirror Image, and Amethyst, who readies his maul. Bellanora tries to turn the bat, which resists. Fjodr swings at Amethyst but misses.
Jeung Kum-Ja destroys one of Corwin’s Mirror Images, as bat Irena Keshkova bites at Bellanora. Melchior casts Sound Lance at the winged vampire, and Amethyst slams his Barbarian foe. Corwin provides Bardic Inspiration to the Warforged.
Bellanora hurls her holy hammer at Keshkova, smiting the Vistani vampire. Valisson swings a great axe at Amethyst but again misses. Jeung Kum-Ja claws at Corwin and summons Storn Redeyes, a Minotaur Skeletal Warrior.
Solveig Lodbjorn, a Wolfen Wight, climbs out of the shacks surrounding the market and lurches toward Kunal, who throws his cold steel chakram at the hopping vampire. Cautious Melchior uses Shadow Jump to fall back.
Metal Amethyst gives ally Bellanora an extra attack with Commander’s Strike and taunts his Skaevingol opponent. Corwin carelessly casts Flame Strike, which the gryphon and its rider narrowly avoid.
Righteous Bellanora destroys the vampire in bat form, as Fjodor again misses Amethyst. Jeung Kum-Ja briefly hops out of reach, as Storn turns from Melchior to Amethyst. Solveig is unable to reach Kunal or Corwin.
Sneaky Kunal strikes the hopping vampire, as impetuous Bard Corwin casts Fireball at her. Bellanora wheels overhead on Dai-ru to survey the scene.
Corwin continues fighting Tsucharim vampire Jeung Kum-Ja and Wolfen Wight Solveig. Next to him, Amethyst battles Barbarian Fjodor and skeletal Minotaur Storn.
Kunal and Melchior offer ranged support and watch for more Undead from the surrounding buildings….
While I’m sorry that we’re not able to meet on Sunday, Oct. 18, I look forward to continuing our battle next weekend! Note my posts on the “Holy Steel” Google Group regarding updating your characters and our November schedule.
I’ll see some of you at tomorrow’s “Storm Riders” face-to-face session. -Gene