Boston-area P.C. Party 39 in Gene D.'s "Vanished Lands" fantasy campaign
“Vistel’s Expedition”, crew of the Zephyr, Player Character Party 39 in Gene D.’s “Vanished Lands” campaign, using the D20 Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Pathfinder, and FATE 3e Legends of Anglerre, as of spring 2015:
- “Giacomo ‘the Mysterious’ Du Vane” [Beruk A.]-male Hifalendorin human Mage (Gypsy Wizard) with a checkered past and homunculus familiar Gerald; NGc, Lvl. 12
- “Scully Strongbow” [Sara F.]-female albino Flind (Gnoll) Ranger, archer, and sailor, with owl “Owlicious” and boyfriend “Capt. Niac”; NGl, Lvl. 12
- “Corwin Windsong” [Bruce K.]-male Half-Elf Bard, wandering noble, warrior, and mandolin player; CNg, Lvl. 12
- “Elsa Fairbottom” [Rich C.G.]-female Hill Dwarf Druid outcast, cook/brewer, diplomat, and animal handler with banuq (winged cat) Penryn; TNg, Lvl. 12
- “Rhys Davies” [Drew S.]-male Tinker Gnome (Minoi) clockwork gadgeteer, shipwright, and impetuous Rogue; TNcg, Lvl. 12
- “Hamfast Hammerfist” [Brian W.]-male Zeda (proto-Germanic) human Fighter, mountaineer, “barbarian” strongman, and laborer; TNg, Lvl. 10
- “Tempestade” [Josh C.]-male Barbari human Monk (Battledancer/capoeirista from outside the “Vanished Lands”), former roustabout, now a follower of Otih; CGl, Lvl. 10
- “Radius” [Jason E.R.]-male Modron Paladin of Primus, lord of Nirvana; exiled to the Prime Material plane; LGn, Lvl. 9
- “Sir Torrel” [Alex W.]-male Hifalendorin human Paladin of Otih, the lord of the sun and justice; LGn, Lvl. 7
- “Melchior Merryman” [Byron V.O.]-male Saganim/Hifalendorin human Cleric of Ulandt, lady of rest/Defender of the Night, hunter of Undead; former member of the “Seekers of Lore”; NGl, Lvl. 8/3
- “Brendan Quinn” [Brian W.]-male Saganim (proto-Celtic) human Rogue, explorer; NGl, Lvl. 9
- “Brogar the Barbarian” [Brian S.]-male Skaevingol (Viking-style) human Barbarian, happy warrior; NGc, Lvl. 9
- “Tarwen Rinuendell” [Dana S.]-female Avariel (winged Elf) Fighter, unflappable but secretive scout; LGn, Lvl. 12
The game so far (up to May 2015):
- “1 to 6 February 1228 B.C.E.” (Sessions 39.1 to 3; 10 September to 8 October 2012): Vistel’s Circus performs at the Hifalendorin (proto-Western European) human village of Androth. Some members of the troupe wander off to investigate Goblin Bruisefoot’s tribe, which has been enslaved at a silver mine. They secretly kill the Saganim (proto-Celtic) human masters.
- “Feb. 6 to 21” (Sessions 4 to 7; 29 Oct. 2012 to 14 Jan. 2013): The carnival travels through a snowstorm across the western Plains of Sathendo to the Saganim town of Tensar. When fellow carnie Seamus Fenor acts strangely, they visit his family’s farm and find zombies, a Necromancer, and a flesh golem. They then slay Bugbear bandits on the way to the village of Nobb.
- “Feb. 22 to 28” (Sessions 8 to 9; Feb. 4, 25): The travelers meet Ol’ Pete and his followers, who guide them to the hamlet of Baln. On the way, they root out two outposts of the nefarious kingdom of Zuromm. The circus reaches Sileran, the capital of Saganim.
- “March 1 to Oct. 30” (Sessions 10 to 20; March 25 to Aug. 26): After some carousing, some members of the band join the Royal Society for Cartography, and they discuss possible corruption during royal audiences. Corwin is revealed as a prince, but the order of succession is clouded by contesting claims and murder investigations. The would-be heroes find the true perpetrators and eventually defeat cultists of Krakas in Sileran’s sewers. Hamfast and Elsa briefly return to their home in the Zeda kingdom in the Ivory Mountains.
- “Oct. 31 to Dec. 24” (Sessions 21 to 24; Sept. 30 to Oct. 21): The adventuring party bids farewell to Radius and welcomes Sir Torrel. After some debate, it decides to head to the barbaric city of Gisar, by way of the Saganim port of Sileran. The team frees Pernicon prisoners, learns about Undead pirates, and scouts nearby swamps amid strange weather. After repelling an attack by giants, the travelers take their leave from Vistel’s Circus.
- “25 December 1228 to 9 January 1227 B.C.E.” (Sessions 25 to 26; Nov. 4, 18): The expedition sails from Sileran to Falit on the Foamrunner, a Sea Elven schooner. On the way to the capital of the Ebir Sheikdom, they evade corsairs and meet strange folk on Emein Island.
- “Jan. 10 to Feb. 3” (Sessions 27 to 30; 2 Dec. 2013 to 6 Jan. 2014): The visitors consult sages at Falit’s three Towers of Sorcery, where they learn how to help Tempestade get home via an obelisk in barbaric Gisar. But first, they must rescue an Efreeti. A few people join the Order of the Golden Lion. Capt. Scarlet and the Foamrunner take the group to Tarvulis Island, where it meets Vasec and Tondra. Giacomo’s tattoo of Ezra, the “Mad Mage,” is uncovered, and the group fights a hydra on the island.
- “Feb. 4 to 18” (Sessions 31 to 33; Jan. 13 to Feb. 17): “Vistel’s Expedition” encounters a Siren and Kuo Toa before stopping at the open port of Laguro on Bokor Island. At Salhonif Island in the Zarendo Archipelago, the wanderers encounter a giant squid, dinosaurs, and civilized apes in the Reptile Folk ruins of Estu….
- _"Feb. 19 to 27" (Sessions 39.34 to 35; March 3 to 10): The wanderers see many animals in Salhonif Island’s savannah and obtain a royal audience at the city-state of Selifa. Queen Zapanga helps them sneak into the tunnels beneath the Temple of Elemental Evil on Mt. Tilefa.
- “Feb. 28 to March 4” (Sessions 36 to 38; March 31 to May 5): The infiltrators encounter gargoyles, Troglodytes, Ogres, and golems, as well as a librarian/sorceress. After hiding and resting, the team fights Wights, dracosaurs, and an insane cultist before finding and destroying the contract binding an Efreeti to a Pit Fiend.
- “March 5 to 13” (Sessions 39 to 42; May 26 to June 23): “Vistel’s Expedition” beats a hasty retreat to Tarvulis Island, and the Foamrunner picks up Tinker Gnome Rhys on the way to Gisar. Hamfast departs the group in that city, and the group enters sewers to get to the ruined House of Xia. It defeats a vampire, a banshee, a gelatinous cube, cultists of Krakas, and priests of Tiamat and then activates a magical obelisk to travel to Tempestade’s home time….
- “March 1 to Apr. 23” (“A New Dawn” Sessions 40.1 to 16, 17 November 2013 to 6 April 2014): Far to the northeast, another unlikely band agrees to escort a Nannuattan emissary across a war-torn landscape to various capitals for peace talks….
- “14 to 16 March 1884 A.D./C.E.” (Sessions 43 to 44; June 27 to July 14, “JasonCon 2014 B”): In a future Brazil, the sometime circus performers meet a priest, rebels, and an Outsider. With timely help from Radius, Brendan, and Brogar, they narrowly defeat an assassin, vampires, automatons, mechanized guards, and a clockwork dragon to rescue slaves from the “Pais Doce” plantation. They confront an imp and take his magical riverboat home.
- “21 March to 4 April 1227 B.C.E.” (Sessions 45 to 47; Aug. 18 to Sept. 15): Tempestade and his countrymen receive a land grant. The command crew of the Zephyr oversees refits and recruitment in village of Drunstimlos. Scully asks Niac to serve as captain. Corwin and company make a side trip to Thadenis to report to the Saganim king and queen. The steamboat easily defeats pirate galley Cruel Cutlass on its shakedown cruise to Sanry.
- “April 5 to 11” (Session 48; Sept. 29): In the Saganim village of Sanry, “Vistel’s Expedition” meets with Capt. Scarlet of the Sea Elven schooner Foamrunner. The Zephyr then goes to Hesolin, capital of the human kingdom of Hifalendor. Scully and Niac work with their new crew. Giacomo and Rhys visit a Gnome’s shop and the temple of Otih, while Corwin and Elsa check in at the Saganim embassy.
- “April 12 to 30” (Sessions 49 to 51, Oct. 8 to Nov. 17): In Hesolin, the crew of the Zephyr has an audience with Hifalendorin monarch Akkon XII, finally rids Giacomo of his cursed tattoo of the “Mad Mage” Ezra, and refits the airship before heading north to the city of Nadwi. Elsa befriends a Treant, and only Corwin and Rhys are pleased when Princess Priscilla and Lady Matilda stow aboard.
- “May 1 to 11” (Sessions 52 to 53, Dec. 1 and 8): In the haunted hamlet of Alarn, the explorers find some members of Vistel’s Circus maimed by a malicious Redcap. They then fight a gruesome Grimm and rogue Grugach while crossing the northwestern Plains of Sathendo.
- “May 12 to 15” (Session 54, Dec. 29): The Zephyr makes a detour to Alfhileno, capital of the Waletku kingdom of the Elves, to report on the growing raids by Unseelie Fey. King Ereval I [Steve A.L., R.I.P.] approves Elsa and company’s missions to thwart Vappu Lahja, establish a long-range communications network, and fight the dreaded Ghost Fleet. Rhys meets other Gnomes experimenting with airships.
- May 16 to 22" (Sessions 55 to 56, 12 to 19 January 2015): “Vistel’s Expedition” meets Tarwen and heads south to the occupied town of Kedetura. Scouts find the Hifalendorin human peasants being oppressed by Centaurs and more Unseelie Fey, as well as a twisted version of Vistel’s Circus. Corwin briefly imprisons Vappu Lahja before the group Teleports to the Astral Plane!
- 23 May to 31 August 1227 B.C.E." (Sessions 57 to 58, April 6 and 20): The onetime circus performers join Githzerai in a raid on a fortress in the Astral Plane, where they encounter Githyanki guards, a Warlock, and red dragons. They follow Vappu Lahja’s trail back to the Plains of Sathendo, where they finally defeat the sorceress and are reunited with the crew of the airship Zephyr….