Fellow role-players, here is my update for Session 42.2 of our higher-level D&D5e telecom game, which was held on Sunday, 5 October 2015:
In one ancient world, there was a place where strange majicks and demihumans thrived. The “Vanished Lands” were blessed by the gods and cursed by prophecy. Travelers became adventurers, and adventurers strove to be heroes in the face of many perils and wonders.
Sometime after a group of former circus performers wandered aboard the airship Zephyr and a team of diplomatic escorts fought chaos in Tong Sheng, another crew gathered on the Sea of Nagendwa, and past heroes reunited….
- “Bellanora of Doru” [Dexter V.H.]-female Mountain Dwarf Paladin devoted to Vulkan, with gryphon steed Dai-ru; LG, Lvl. 10
- “Kunal Sampat Rajiv Ramaprased” [Beruk A.]-male Harrappan (proto-Indian) human Rogue and cook, member of the (D&D3.5) “Broken Chains”; NGc, Lvl. 10
- “Melchior Merryman” [Byron V.O.]-male Saganim/Hifalendorin human Cleric of Ulandt, hunter of Undead, former member of the (D&D3.0) “Seekers of Lore” and associate of (D20/FATE) “Vistel’s Expedition”; NGl, Lvl. 10
- “Amethyst IronSoul” [Geoff C.]-male Warforged battle master (Construct Fighter) and mercenary leader; LNg, Lvl. 10
- “Corwin Windsong” [Bruce K.]-male Half-Elf Bard, wandering Saganim prince, valiant arcane warrior, and mandolin player, member of “Vistel’s Expedition”; CNg, Lvl. 10
- “Ember Talon” [Sara F./absent ]-female Crane Hengeyokai Wu (shapeshifting Druid), actually a young gold dragon banished from the Celestial Court (see D20/FATE “A New Dawn”); NGl, Lvl. 10
- “Eoghan, son of Kyndeyrn” [Josh C./absent ]-male Half-Elf (Saganim human/Fey-touched) Warlock (formerly Bard), associate of the “Broken Chains”; CGn, Lvl. 10
Backup Player Character roster for Gene D.’s D&D5e “Vanished Lands: Avengers” telecom team, as of summer 2015:
- “Moon Jung-Mo” [Dexter V.H.]-male Nannuattan Ninja (eastern Dark Elf Assassin) who has left the Shadow’s Claw clan and is posing as a River Spirit Folk (eastern Grey Elf) merchant; with young wyvern Niruth (see D20/FATE “A New Dawn”); LNg, Lvl. 10
- “Sakan Agramon Majere/ Sam” [Beruk A.]-male Irda (High Ogre) Ranger, charlatan disguised as a human, with a snow leopard (from Dexter’s D&D5e “Land of Lost Souls”); TNc, Lvl. 10
- “Toshiharu ‘Toshi’ Sembutsu” [Byron V.O.]-male Shan Sao Wu Jen (eastern Halfling Wizard) with tiger companion Amaya and a destiny (“A New Dawn”); NGc, Lvl. 10
- “Tonks Cinderclaw” [Sara F.]-female Gokuri Dragonborn Fighter, member of the (D&D4e) “Faith-Based Initiative”; CGn, Age 21, Lvl. 10
- “Hateem Shisakli” [Josh C.]-male Suthern human Dervish (proto-Arabic Barbarian, formerly Bard/Battledancer), associate of the (Pathfinder ) “Uncommon Companions”; LGn, Lvl. 10
- “Soske’ Tiatoshe” [Geoff C.]-male Shengtese Tian Shukenja (eastern human Cleric), priest and animist from the Phoenix Clan, prophesied to do great things but plagued by family and ancestor spirits (“A New Dawn”); LNg, Lvl. 10
- “Saigo Kasugi” [Bruce K.]-male Bamboo Spirit Folk Samurai (eastern Sylvan Elf Cavalier) discreetly serving his daimyo (“A New Dawn”); LNg, Lvl. 10
“3 to 4 November 1227 B.C.E.:” An assortment of experienced adventurers met in the barbaric port of Gisar, where a street brawl turned deadly and a prince got vengeance for the murder of his lover. Grateful Corwin asked his new acquaintances to help him in the city.
The next morning, Kunal prepares breakfast for his new acquaintances at the temple of Brijitt, goddess of fire and poetry, which Corwin believes to be one of the few safe locations in Gisar. Priestess Gerta the Naughty offers supplies.
The Bard disguises himself to continue his search for ally Melchior. The Saganim (proto-Celtic) human Cleric of Ulandt, the lady of rest, had been covertly monitoring the late Tiefling mage Lord Dalek and Corwin’s half-brother, Prince Daven.
Corwin replaces Bellanora’s singed cloak, but Amethyst declines a poncho for concealment.
The heroes walk north on Indra Avenue, past the temples in Council Square. At the busy Spice Square, they begin asking around for Atlantean arms dealer “Vasdin Khafre” or elderly Saganim potion seller “Shamus,” two of Melchior’s aliases.
Corwin, who is wearing a mandolin he received from Melchior to help with recognition, learns that the red-robed Dragonborn was asking around for “Shamus.” Kunal spots Melchior at the northwestern corner of the market. He is being followed by the Dragonborn, a sickly human, and a Nekojin (cat woman).
Suthern (proto-Arabic) human Kunal and Warforged Amethyst begin to approach the potion vendor’s cart as overbearing customers. Mountain Dwarf Bellanora, still wary after being caught in Corwin’s Flame Strike, keeps her distance to observe.
Half-Elf Corwin casts Message to warn Melchior that his “princely friend is here with friends, but three people are approaching.” In response, the Defender of the Night vanishes and invisibly climbs a building.
The three humanoids fan out, and the Dragonborn pulls out a monocle to scan the crowd. Kunal circles to the square’s northern entrance to watch the pale man, who is sniffing in an apparent attempt to track Melchior.
Amethyst turns south toward the Nekojin and studies her movements. The feline assassin is graceful but relatively young. Bellanora approaches the Dragonborn from the east and engages him in conversation.
Gorkath says that he is looking for “friend” Shamus. The glaive-bearing reptilian spellcaster uses his magical monocle to spot Melchior on a nearby rooftop.
Disguised Corwin walks to the fountain at the center of Spice Square and tries to keep out of the Dragonborn’s line of sight. Rogue Kunal uses exotic spices to distract the pale man and then ducks into the crowd.
Paladin Bellanora tries to Detect Evil. Bard Corwin casts Fear on Gorkath, forcing him to flee east on Agni Path. Cleric Melchior uses Shadow Step to get close to his countryman. Fighter Amethyst nears the Nekojin.
Kunal follows the Dragonborn and steals his monocle, as the Nekojin unknowingly passes Corwin. The wan man then heads toward Bellanora, who senses malicious intent.
Corwin provides Bardic Inspiration to Bellanora, and Melchior casts Protection From Evil on himself. Amethyst turns to the Nekojin. Kunal lets Gorkath go and returns to Corwin in the market.
The Saganim prince casts Hold Person on the Nekojin, as Melchior casts Detect Undead and identifies the pale man near Bellanora as infected. The holy warrior of Vulkan tells the man to halt, but he says that his “masters now know you’re here.”
Bellanora hurls Kestaz Heus, her holy war hammer, through the man, who explodes in a fountain of black pus. Corwin ties up the Nekojin, while Amethyst keeps watch for the Draconian.
Melchior casts the Blessing of Stealth and takes the new group to a secondary safe house. The Grimm, or hunter of Undead, shares spare clothing and ammunition with the wanderers.
Kunal and Corwin disarm the Nekojin and find ninja-tos (short swords), a light crossbow, and six shurikens (throwing stars). They put the feline woman into a makeshift cell. Bellanora and Amethyst stand guard.
Melchior casts Guardian Spirit and invokes Ulandt for wards of Non-Detection. Corwin interrogates the prisoner, who is named Riki.
Riki says that the lords of the city have learned of Lord Dalek’s death in a street brawl and have been searching for Melchior, whom they suspect is a spy. The Nekojin says that she serves one Kallina.
In return for her freedom, Riki offers to gather information on the treacherous Prince Daven and his ally Sean Sable, whose family is suspected of necromancy. Bellanora grants Riki mercy but reminds Corwin and company not to trust her.
Melchior agrees that the Nekojin could prove useful and gives her a sleeping draught. He removes her from the safe house, and the team ponders its next moves in Gisar….
I look forward to seeing what our latest adventuring party does! We’ll see whether it crosses paths with the “Storm Chasers,” who are also headed toward Gisar. Remember to review your characters on Obsidian Portal.
I’ll also see some of you at Jason E.R.’s “Star Wars: Dark Times” on Monday. Stay in touch, -Gene